Sunday, May 25, 2008

Weekly Reflection # 3

My final week of senior project was very busy. During this week, I completed my articles, spent an entire day at Upper Valley Press being a part of the entire printing process, and assisted in printing my newspaper. 
The beginning of the week was spent in Brenda's office and the library, finishing up my research for my articles. I also had to continue to get ahold of students on senior project to get their survey responses so that they could be included in my paper. I finished writing my final articles and spent a few hours finding pictures to go with some of the articles. Finally, I figured out what order I wanted the articles to go in on the paper. 
On Thursday, I spent the entire day at the Upper Valley Press in North Haverhill, NH. I first worked with  a man named Shawn, transferring my articles and pictures from word documents into the program InDesign, which set it up to look like the printed result. After we finished, we edited the color in some of the photos so that they would come out as best as possible on the press. After we finished with InDesign, I went into another office and worked with a man named Dave, to conclude how the pages would be lined up, and which ones would be printed where. Then on a large color printer in that office, we printed a proof of my newspaper so when it came time for the paper to run through the press, the pressmen would have an example to compare it to, so that they can create the best color scheme possible. After this step, we walked into the next room where the platelets are made. The articles and images are lasered onto the platelet and it then goes through an oven to set the laser design. This platelet is then used in the pressroom, as the mold for the newspaper. Finally, I helped in the pressroom as the platelet was put into the press, colors were adjusted and my paper was printed! 
It was a great feeling holding my printed paper in my hand after it was finally complete. I felt proud of myself reading the articles, knowing how much time and effort I spent creating it. I also gained a deeper appreciation for newspapers seeing just how much time and hard work goes into creating a finished product of a newspaper. Before this project, I had no idea how much effort it takes to make a newspaper. Overall, it was one of the greatest learning experiences of my life. 

No comments: