Thursday, May 22, 2008

Day 14

Today was by far the most exciting day of my senior project. The reason being, is because I got my newspaper printed! I got there around one o'clock, and didn't leave until around six. It took a lot of work. My sponsor hooked me up big time. I was treated like a businessman when I got there, meeting with all kinds of personel. I first met with two women, who took a look at my articles, and my photos, and they helped me decide my set-up. We decided that the best format was that of a tabloid, meaning you read the paper like a magazine, rather than a newspaper. The paper is eight pages, four pages, front and back. I worked with a man names Shawn, who helped me with the layout, using a program called "indesign" on his computer. This took us about an hour to do. Then, the process began. Frankly, I don't know where to start. It first goes through a few computers, then they are put onto platelets, which are big sheets of aluminum. These are sent through ovens, and then brought through the press. The press copies the aluminum sheets, and puts them onto paper. I got to choose the style of paper I used. I went with a basic white color, which was heavier than the grey, so I thought it would last longer without ripping. The machines take it from there, piecing them together, and then binding them with glue. The copies are then trimmed to size. I left out a steps, but much more will be explained with my presentation. I got tons of pictures, and have 200 copies of my paper to share with people. I owe a huge thanks to Upper Valley Printing Press, who helped my hugely. I learned a ton today!

No comments: